Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Recreating My Reading Center

Develop the habit of Reading
Adults reward themselves by snuggling up with their books
D. Miller

After I read this quote in the book, The Book Whisper, I have been thinking.  It is always a scary thought when I am thinking because that means change is about to happen.  I started to look at my classroom in a new way. 


When you walk into my classroom this is the first thing you will see, my messy reading table and file cabinets.   I am using the file cabinets to divide up the space between the lockers and reading area.   What does this say about what is important in my classroom.  I want you to be able to walk into my classroom and know what I belief is important as a teacher.  

My reading corner is smushed in the corner and only a few students can fit in it.  I have heard my self say, “Pick your book and find someplace else to read.”

Wait.What.isn’t that the purpose of the Reading Center?

There is nothing more I as a reader look forward to than finishing my work so I can read at the end of the day in my snuggle spot. 

That is what I want my Reading Center to be..more openmore spacemore places for kids to gather, and snuggle in with a good book.  A place they look forward to going to and staying in. 

So I made some changes……I moved my large file cabinets to the other side of the room and now when you walk into my room this is what you see. 


Books.Lots and Lots of Books

and cozy places to read


 cozy pillows to read on

 I moved my reading table over to the right.....


  Now I feel when you walk into my classroom you can tell we are a room of readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...