Sunday, January 19, 2014

Teach Compassion



When I comfort my students with
LOVE and CARE, I TEACH them COMPASSION.
(Paraphrased from the book:  Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison)


I was reminded this week of the importance of slowing down and taking time for one student.  I had a student who was sick for a couple of days.  Upon returning to school he was having a hard time transitioning back to class.  Unfortunately it was one of those busy mornings and the class had to be at Mass at 8:00.  I took the class to Mass and asked another teacher to cover for me and went back to the parent and child and quietly took the little boy into the classroom.  I told him we would get ready quietly and go to Mass when he was ready.  It took a bit; we passed out some art projects, talked about his days at home. 

After a period of time, I asked him if he felt ready to go to Mass and he said Yes, so we went.  The rest of the day went smoothly.  I never gave it another thought. 

At the end of the school day him mother gave me a bouquet of flowers. and said Thank You for taking the extra time to help him.   

I loved working at my desk all week.  It smelled so fresh and wonderful.


This reminded me of the sign I have hanging up by my desk.  Miss Kacey made it at Doodle Bugs a few years ago however I hang it up every year to remind myself how important it is to not just teach the academics but to teach compassion as well.  
source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...