Friday, August 29, 2014

Our Class Pet

Fluffy

The class pet idea is an idea from my partner teacher.  I have always had take home buddies like Clifford, Tacky, and Mouse.  However when I moved to first grade last year my new partner teacher, Diana, had a class pet.  Each year she goes to the store and buys a different animal.  The children name it and than is goes home with someone each night. 

I purchased a backpack and journal and the rest of the materials I already had. 
I found an adorable dog at Target.  From the moment I found out I was thinking journal entry and starting snapping pictures.  

I made a collar for the dog.

I made a cover the Fluffy's Journal.
Here are my entry for the journal:




Needless to say the kids are super excited about the dog.  
 I even made an entry with my grand daughter Haddie.  I wrote to the children that Fluffy likes Haddie because she can blow bubbles with her spit and drool just like Fluffy.  

That entry was a hit with the first graders.  

2 comments:

  1. I've never had a class pet, but this sounds fantastic!! I have a stuffed lion that I could use. Do you have any other tips to get this started? Thanks for your inspiration and help!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally put a book that the children can read with a parent in the backpack. The kids decided we should put a dog bowl and a toothbrush in the bag. In years past I also put crayons in the bag, however recently most of my students add photos that they print out at home. The children thought I should add a blanket for the dog however I did not have anything that little. Years ago I would put a treat for the child in the bag, for example, when I did mouse, I would add a cookie. When I did tacky the penguin I would put goldfish crackers. I have several students with food allergies this year so I decided to just leave food out of the bag.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...