Monday, June 24, 2013

Laura Ingalls Wilder Schoolhouse




Sorry I am MIA for the next couple of weeks, I am on vacation with my husband, son, and daughter-in-law.  We are traveling to Yellowstone National Park.  A new adventure for me,  I have been to many places in the world, but not westward.  If you are interested in reading more please go to my personal blog, Fruity Lemonade. 
The first place we stopped was, De’Smet, South Dakota to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder settlement.  It was a house that the family lived in four awhile while her father worked in a store in town. 
We saw the schoolhouse that Laura and Carrie attended.  
It was very simple.

  It had a wood burning stove in the middle of it.
 My favorite part of the schoolhouse was the bucket for water when the children get thirsty.

Next we saw the little schoolhouse where Laura taught when she was fifteen years old.

Here are the little desks the children sat in.
This is the teacher's desk.  How easy teacher set up is.  I picked up some of the early reader books and phonics books to look at.

It is interesting to see how similar our teaching still is to the old school days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...