Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Monday's Mystery Words


At our school we use the Words Their Way Program for Spelling and Phonics in the primary grades. 



I know I will be sorting and creating lots of lists with our spelling each day however I still want to include Monday’s Mystery Word.  My kids just loved this activity last year.  In kindergarten we did this whole group with the pocket chart.


Now as first graders, I purchased their own letters to work with from Lakeshore.  I liked these letters because they were made out of cardboard and appear to be laminated.  The vowels are printed in red and the consonants are printed in blue.    I was disappointed that they only had lowercase letters on one side.  I wish they had the capital letters on the other side.  
source
  I found 24 tool drawer organizer to store at Home Depot to store the letters.  I added red-letter stickers on the outside to easy organize the drawers. W,X,Y,Z had to share drawers. 


I am going to follow the structure in Patricia Cunningham’s Book for the first year and go from there.  
I think the kids will love sorting the letters on their own and finding some of the words before we do the activity as a class.  I can hear the excitement already. 

Keep yours eyes open I will be creating a recording sheet for this soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...