Saturday, January 25, 2014

MLK Week

Martin Luther King Jr.

My first graders spent the week learning about MLK.   There is so much to learn and so many ways you can tie Dr. King's message into your daily lessons.  For me the perfect place I find to relate Dr. King's message is religion.  Even though Dr. King was not Catholic, he still believe and lived in life in a positive way spreading the message of Jesus.  

We read my favorite two books about MLK for first graders:  Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr. and Martin's Big Words.


We wrote down all the BIG WORDS MLK used and tried to used them in our writing too.

We also read:  Every Child Deserves a Better World (I think this book is out of print.)  I told the boys and girls how when I first saw this book I thought it might be silly because Kermit the Frog and the muppets where on the cover.  I judged the book before I read it.  That was just like what Dr. King was preaching to people not to do.  Don't judge on what you see on the outside.....look to the inside.  Then when I read the book I understood what the author's message was and now I love the book.  



And then we wrote Our Dreams for a Better World.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...